Dedicated to the world-renowned trafficwomen of the DPRK

PortalPortal   FORUM  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

North Korea 'detains US reporters'

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JIMBIALEK
은색 party member 은색

North Korea 'detains US reporters' Empty
PostSubject: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 8:40 am

North Korea 'detains US reporters' 200931991413314734_5
The journalists were reportedly taken by North Korean guards near the Chinese border [GALLO/GETTY]

Two US journalists of Korean descent and their guide have been detained by North Korean border guards close to the frontier with China, South Korean media reports have said.

It is believed that the two women journalists, working for a California-based online news company Current TV, were on the China side of the Yalu river, which forms border with North Korea, when they were arrested.

South Korea's YTN channel says the North Korean guards crossed into Chinese territory to arrest the women, after they ignored warnings to stop filming.

Neither the South Korean or US governments have confirmed the reports.

A spokesman for the Chinese foreign ministry in Beijing told reporters that the officials were investigating the report but declined to comment further.

The reports come at a time of mounting tension on the Korean peninsula, with the North accusing the US and South Korea of using joint military exercises as a prelude to invasion.

North Korea has said it will launch a rocket in April that it says will carry an experimental communications satellite into orbit.

The US and North Korea's neighbours believe the launch is a cover for a test of a long-range missile that could potentially carry a warhead as far as US territory.

Bad, bad female reporters taking pictures from another country!! We must cross border to kidnap them!
Back to top Go down
Jong-Il's Hair Apparent
official minder moderator
Jong-Il's Hair Apparent

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 4:27 pm

North Korea 'detains US reporters' AP-American-journalists-Laura-Ling-rigth-Euna-Lee-eng-195-2
One of the reporters is Laura Ling, the sister of Lisa Ling, who produced a very unflattering documentary about North Korea - 5 minute preview here - http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/explorer/3089/Overview#tab-Videos/02512_04

I wonder how NK has treated her after they found out who her sister was? I don't suppose they will exactly be easier on her because of it - we may not hear from her for a long time. If they ever do release her, I can't wait to hear the reporting she does about it. This could be the turning point in her career, assuming she gets out of there without a lobotomy or something - I had never heard of Laura Ling before.

Mysteriously, Lisa Lings website has suddenly disappeared - www.lisaling.com
Back to top Go down
Dear Leader
Divine Administrator
Dear Leader

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:29 am

Jong-Il's Hair Apparent wrote:
Mysteriously, Lisa Lings website has suddenly disappeared - www.lisaling.com
The site is back. It may have crashed due to web traffic overload because of this story.
It seems like she doesn't keep it updated, the last activity was in early November.

People have been posting messages there for her about her sister - and one person thinks it's Lisa that was captured: "Lisa,
I know you do not know me, but you have been on my heart as you are being held. I am praying for you two and will continue daily. Never give up what you are doing, you are an inspiration and a light to the world. Continue to let your light shine the truth into the world's darkest places. May the Lord bless you and protect you wherever you may go. "
scratch
Back to top Go down
http://dprktrafficgirls.forumotion.com
Mayor_of_Pyongyang
청동 party member 청동
Mayor_of_Pyongyang

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 3:37 pm

If this is true (yet it is still unconfirmed), then where is Hillary and BHO????

Why no word about this from them?

Guess they're stuck there forever.
Back to top Go down
Jong-Il's Hair Apparent
Jong-Il's Hair Apparent

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 7:51 pm

You never know - just like all those Japanese civilians they kidnapped years ago and kept.
Back to top Go down
catcher22
청동 party member 청동

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 5:09 pm

Mayor_of_Pyongyang wrote:
If this is true (yet it is still unconfirmed), then where is Hillary and BHO????

Why no word about this from them?

Guess they're stuck there forever.
They'll be talking about it on the Jay Leno show. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
JIMBIALEK
은색 party member 은색

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 7:23 am

Fact: On day one - "A State Department official tells CNN the United States is working with the Chinese government on the case and has expressed Washington's concern to North Korea through the Swedish Embassy in the North Korean capital, Pyongyang. Sweden represents the United States in North Korea since the United States does not have diplomatic relations with the North."

What should Obama do? Call a joint session of Congress to declare North Korea a Nexis Of Evil, refuse diplomatic channels as an option and send bombers over Pyongyang?

IMO, It sounds like NK is using the same dictum as was Bush's claim of his authority to seize and indefinitely detain as "enemy combatants" anyone anywhere at any time for any reason.

This will be resolved soon enough, it's no international crisis.
Back to top Go down
catcher22
청동 party member 청동

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Expressing concern. Decisive action indeed.
Joe Biden warned us about something like this. "Mark my words," Biden said. "It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy....."Remember I said it standing here, if you don't remember anything else I said," Biden continued. "Watch, we're going to have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy.....And he's going to need help . . . to stand with him. Because it's not going to be apparent initially"
North Korea must be shaking in it's boots about Obama expressing concern.
Back to top Go down
Mayor_of_Pyongyang
청동 party member 청동
Mayor_of_Pyongyang

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:33 pm

Well, I guess Obama the Magnificent can send them a video tape, like he did to Iran. That'll show them.
Back to top Go down
JIMBIALEK
은색 party member 은색

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 6:54 am

Come on now - we all know things are being done behind the scenes.

I guess I don't understand what more at this point you all think the Obama administration should do besides what is already being done ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7962653.stm

We don't yet know all the facts about this. It may only be a case of two overzealous newshounds trying to make a name for themselves, who knowingly or unknowingly crossed the border into North Korea. In the US they're known as illegal immigrants and likewise are subject to arrest.

In any case, this will be over soon enough. NK will claim bragging rights by capturing "spies" and "generously" releasing them, the US will claim to have "rescued" American citizens diplomatically, and our two junior reporters will emerge from this with the scoop of their young careers, making the rounds being interviewed on news networks, talk shows and People magazine - propelling them to journalistic superstardom.
Its a win-win-win for everyone.
Back to top Go down
JIMBIALEK
은색 party member 은색

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 7:55 am

*crickets*
Back to top Go down
catcher22
청동 party member 청동

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 3:39 pm

I was just momentarily stunned that two Americans abducted by a secretive communist dictatorship for who knows how long would be considered a win. No
Back to top Go down
Jong-Il's Hair Apparent
Jong-Il's Hair Apparent

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:33 pm

When you go poking around a border between two communist countries I guess you're just asking for trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if they were put on trial for helping refugees escape. They may be in there for a long time.
Back to top Go down
catcher22
청동 party member 청동

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 4:03 pm

"Trial" Laughing
Gee, I wonder what the verdict would be?
Back to top Go down
Mayor_of_Pyongyang
청동 party member 청동
Mayor_of_Pyongyang

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 8:33 pm

You know North Korea has got to get something out of this to give them back - fuel, food, hard currency - something. I doubt they'll be let go without getting something BIG in return. Especially two American females.
Back to top Go down
Jong-Il's Hair Apparent
Jong-Il's Hair Apparent

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 4:05 pm

Ha! I knew it ......

Report: North Korea planning to put American reporters on trial
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Two American journalists detained in North Korea entered the country illegally and intended "hostile acts," according to the nation's state-run news service, KCNA.

"The illegal entry of U.S. reporters into the DPRK [Democratic People's Republic of Korea] and their suspected hostile acts have been confirmed by evidence and their statements, according to the results of [an] intermediary investigation" conducted by North Korean officials, KCNA reported Monday.

Preparations are being made to try the journalists "on the basis of the already-confirmed suspicions," the report said.

entertained
Back to top Go down
Mayor_of_Pyongyang
청동 party member 청동
Mayor_of_Pyongyang

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 6:48 pm

That's it, they're never getting out. Only, unless, we supply them with some much needed missile technology.
Back to top Go down
Ysys

PostSubject: .   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 7:56 pm

case closed
Back to top Go down
Ysys

PostSubject: ..   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 7:58 pm

guest seem to have probs with links ^^

h_t_t_p_:_/_/edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/08/04/nkorea.clinton/index.html
Back to top Go down
Jong-Il's Hair Apparent
Jong-Il's Hair Apparent

PostSubject: Re: North Korea 'detains US reporters'   North Korea 'detains US reporters' Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 5:16 pm

Ysys wrote:
guest seem to have probs with links ^^

h_t_t_p_:_/_/edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/08/04/nkorea.clinton/index.html
Only registered members can post hyperlinks, for some reason.

Their release was covered here on another thread: http://dprktrafficgirls.forumotion.com/dprk-general-discussion-f13/bill-clinton-visits-north-korea-in-bid-to-free-journalists-t144.htm
thumbup
Back to top Go down

North Korea 'detains US reporters'
Page 1 of 1